Tacoma Park facilities remained closed on Tuesday after heavy snowfall blanketed the area over the weekend and low temperatures continue.
Metro Parks Tacoma said the following facilities will be closed on Tuesday:
- People’s Community Center
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium (daytime hours and Zoolights)
- Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
- Point Defiance Marina
- Tacoma Natural Center
- Fort Nisqually
- Meadow Park Golf Course
- WW Seymour Conservatory (closed for renovations in progress)
Facilities open during normal hours on Tuesday:
- STAR and Eastside Community Centers
- Metro Parks Tacoma Headquarters, awaiting parking clearance
Late opening of the facilities:
- The Norpoint center will open at noon to allow staff to completely clear the parking lot.
- The parks teams will work on opening the toilets, cleaning the parking lots, internal roads and alleys. Until this is completed, the parks will have facilities and limited vehicle access.
The parks will have a limited number of toilets and parking lots. Five Mile Drive at Point Defiance could open late to car traffic, according to a press release from Metro Parks.
Alerts are posted on the Metro Parks website at metroparkstacoma.org/weather-alert.
If you are going out in snow and ice, Metro Parks has taken the following safety precautions:
- Be careful around buildings. Heavy snow and ice that may have accumulated on the roofs and edges of picnic shelters and sanitary buildings can slip off as the weather warms.
- Tree branches may also have been stressed under snow and ice and could break apart, falling on anyone below.
- Stay away from steep inclines as they are more prone to slipping in wet conditions and the area’s freezing and thawing.
- Stay away from downed power lines, which can be fatal.